Saturday, April 07, 2007

Then, you must be lesbians?

Yesterday was a great day.

I met up with Matt and Jenn and we went to this museum which is an old prison. The Japanese used this prison to torture and kill Koreans who were against the Japanese Occupation of Korea. It was really graphic and they didn't hold anything back in the displays.

Take a look.


Everything was life-size and some of the exhibits moved and had accompanying sound. I can't understand Korean but I can definitely understand the screams.

It was kinda brutal but I think all the years I spent listening to metal prepared me well.

There were about half a dozen buildings to explore such as the prisons, the execution building, the torture building, etc.

They also had some "interactive" displays such as the picture below.

When you'd sit on the seat, a soundtrack would play of people yelling and then the seat would suddenly drop a couple of inches. Matt sat on it first and it nearly scared the shit of him when it dropped.

Some of the cells in the prison were open and you could go get a feel of what it'd be like to be imprisoned there.

I think it would feel a lot like this.

We left the "museum" at about 4:00 and headed to a part of town called Haewha. I've never been there before but a friend of mine recommended the area. He said it's the part of town where "the arts" are really big. A lot of theaters, universities, and street performers (in the summer) are around here, but there aren't many foreigners.

I like going out sometimes and not seeing many foreigners because, well, it actually feels like you're in Korea. Hongdae, and especially Itaewon, and loaded with "whites" on the weekend.

Now don't get me wrong. I'm white and I do like white people, but it's also nice to go out and not see any white people. And we all know what white people are like.

It's also cool to go to a restaurant and have a server who's English isn't very good and it's a struggle to get some salsa. Feels like you're in Asia.

So we ate at TGI Fridays and I had one of the greasiest burgers I've ever come across. Then we headed to the back alleys and side streets checking out some bars. It was only 6 or 7:00 by now so all of the places we went were dead.

Went to some tiny blues bar, a dingy rock n roll bar that felt like I was in a cabin back in Newfoundland, then checked out a nice HOF and drank some soju. Here's a before and after picture of Jenn.

Before soju

After soju

Somewhere during the night we went to the batting cages. This is a really popular thing to do when out drinking and it's a laugh.

We all sucked ass at batting, but we kicked some ass in the various kicking and punching games they had there. I don't know how many pictures we took there but we took a lot, all trying to get the ultimate "action shot."

We got a few good ones, but not the ultimate one.

I also kicked some ass in the basketball game, eclipsing the high score by 12 points. All the Koreans were excitedly watching the dumb white guy in anticipation that I come up short, but I didn't. Little did they know, I was the runner up in two Provincial free throw championships back in junior high (and I would have won the first one if my mom didn't forget to wash my lucky Chip and Pepper shirt, and I would have won the second one if the jerk rebounding didn't throw me a bad pass and make me move my feet to retrieve the ball, thus losing my "sweet spot" and rhythm. He was an asshole.)

We eventually ended up in a Noraebang, AKA karaoke room. We didn't really try to go here. Our intention was to check out a bar called Chicago so we walked down the stairs to get to the bar and went in the wrong door. We said "to hell with it" and got a room. Matt and Jenn quickly ran to a store and picked up some beer and then we went singing for the next hour.

The dude who worked there caught me drinking a beer but he let me finish it before he took the can. You can't drink in some noraebangs but everyone does anyway, I think.

The next stop was some dance bar which was the best part of the night. I can't remember the name of the place. They were having a "free whiskey party" and with the $10 cover you could drink all the whiskey you wanted. This seemed to good to be true and it kinda was. Yes, they had free whiskey, but you couldn't get a glass of whiskey. What you could get was a shot glass with about a cm of whiskey and the rest filled with mix, either coke or orange juice.

They had a constant line of about 20 shot glasses that they always kept full and there was no line up of people to get at them. I'm almost glad that I couldn't get free highballs because the night could've been another one of those black outs. Fortunately, I remember everything last night, even the taxi ride home.

I had the perfect amount to drink last night. Not too much to get sick and forget the night, but enough to not really give a shit what I was doing and have a great time being a bit of a bold jerk, but all within reason.

So we were at that dance bar for a long long time. The place was small and it had a really cool vibe. There were no American soldiers and no annoying white people (besides us and maybe a handful of others). I spent most of my night either dancing or harassing these two girls at the bar.

Those two girls just sat at the bar all night in front of the free whiskey and refused to dance. I made it my mission to convince them to dance to just one song but the effort was futile. There was a dude from Nepal there who told me those girls come to this place every weekend and always sit in that same spot and drink.

I was having fun teasing them and they were having fun with me making fun of them. The funniest moment is when I asked them if they were lesbians and they became really animated trying to convince me they weren't. I'm not really convinced.

One of the girls told me that if I go back there next Saturday she'll dance with me for one song, but I don't believe her.

And it's a long way to go to have one dance with a lesbian.

No comments: