Sunday, August 26, 2007

I've got the whole world in my hands...

During my teaching internship in St. Johns, my cooperating teacher called in sick one day. The school got a substitute teacher. It was a dude a couple years older than me.

The class had a field trip that day so we had to take all the kids to Signal Hill for some walk against cancer.

Last night I stumbled into the Woodstock bar in Gangnam with my cousin, Karen, and some of her co-workers. Sitting in the corner were a couple people who work at Matt's school, the people we went to North Korea with.

Sat and talked to them for a bit, but they were pretty wasted and took off.

There were a couple white guys at the table next to me. One of them looked really familiar. I asked him where he was from and looked at me strangely and said Newfoundland.

We introduced ourselves and were talking for a bit.

Small world.

We started asking some questions, etc. and he said he had a teaching degree and subbed in St. Johns.

Then it clicked and we both realized we worked together that day when I was doing my internship.

Smaller world.

Got around to talking to his friend. Asked him where he was from. He answered "Pasadena."

He knew all the people I named and said he was good buddies with my cousin Jamie.

Smallerer world.

Sat and drank with those guys for a while got good and drunk. It's the first time I've really been drinking since I got back. I have a feeling I'm gonna be drinking a lot less this year. Don't have the will to get wasted all the time.

But chances are that's likely to change...

No comments: