Thursday, October 05, 2006

Deoksugung Palace...

I just added a photo gallery to the right. The pictures are of Deoksugung Palace.

When we arrived we watched the changing of the guard. That's what those silly looking men with the beards glued to their face are doing. I even got my picture taken with a few of them. Check it out.

I also have a short video clip of the guards changing (no, not changing their clothes) that I'll post here when I figure out how to do it.

But anyway, here's what I can tell you about the palace (I'm copying it from a book).

Its one of the five royal palaces of the Joseon Dynasty (1392-1910). It was originally the residence of Prince Wolsan (1454-1488), the elder brother of King Seongjong (Korea's greatest King... He invented the Korean writing system and it is said to be "linguistically ingenious"), but was used as the main palace by later Kings.

King Gojong, the next-to-last king of the Joseon Dynasty, remained there even after being forced to abdicate the throne by the Japanese in 1907 until his death in 1919.

Deoksugung means "palace of virtuous longevity."

And that's your history lesson for today. The quiz is tomorrow at midnight Eastern Standard Time.

No comments: