Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Chillin'...

This is the first day I've had some free time at school in a looooong time. I've been surfing the net and listening to music for the last two hours and now I'm bored.

I've found a lot of good music in the last week or two, including new albums from Nas, Ghostface (his second album of the year!), Bronze Nazareth, Masta Killa, Inspectah Deck, Jay-Z and it was good to just chill out and listen while I get paid.

Yesterday I got paid to go out for lunch and watch a movie which is fine by me. I went with the grade two teachers to VIPS and had a steak and ribs along with their wonderful salad bar that has everything from tacos to pizza to onion rings to sandwiches, and yeah, they also have some salads too.

After lunch we went to a movie theatre and watched the movie "Just Friends." It's an American movie so it was in English with Korean subtitles. I was dreading the idea of being forced to sit through a bad romantic comedy but I was pleasantly surprise by the film. It was much dumber and idiotic than I thought it would be, in a good way, and a lot less romantic. Of course, the ending was very predictable but at least it made me chuckle a few times.

The theatre, on the other hand was kinda disappointing. There were maybe 10 screens at the place but our screen was really small and the room was tiny. I don't say the place sat much more than 50 people, although it's kinda hard to tell. I just know it's was probably the smallest theatre I've ever been in. I'm gonna have to go see a movie at the Megabox soon.

I also finished watching all four seasons of this HBO show called "The Wire." It's probably the best TV show I've ever had the pleasure of watching. I'd compare it to something like the Sopranos but instead of being about the mafia, it's about the Baltimore police, street level and large scale drug dealers, the harbour and port, the school system, and more street thugs. And it ain't all sensational like the Sopranos.

I think the main reason I like it so much is because it's the complete opposite of CSI, a show that I truly despise. It shows the processes and time that it takes to get warrants and wire taps and cutting edge policing equipment, unlike CSI's light-speed police work.

The plot is genius and so intricate that it almost seems like you're reading a book rather than watching a TV series. I dunno how I never heard of the show until this year. Maybe it has something to to with the fact that we don't get HBO in Canada.

Download it and prepare to be hooked.

No comments: