Saturday, September 02, 2006

I've never seen so many white people in my life...

I had my first taste of the Seoul nightlife this evening. I met up with a couple of friends from Newfoundland who I know from MUN. I met up with them in Itaewon, the expat (foreigner) district of Seoul. There's an American army base in the area so the place is crawling with Westerners.

I took the subway to the Gangnom stop and then got a taxi to Itaewon from there. The cab cost me about $7, but in Canada it would have cost about $20.

We went to a bar called Gekkos (not sure about the spelling) and they treated me to dinner and drinks for the entire night! They can empathize with my situation and know that I don't have much extra money to blow these days, and I only get paid once a month, on the 24th.

The majority of the patrons were Westerners and the food was awesome. Chicken strips and fries for me. They have a DJ there with a computer as his turn table. This allows him to download any song that is requested. Awesome idea.

Itaewon is apparently a rough place. A while back at the bar I was at a Korean girl was killed by some American soldiers. I dunno what the situation was but I'm guessing it probably involved rape. I can see why Koreans hate Americans. I think a lot of them think I'm an army guy because of my short hair. Oh well.

My Newfy friends told me that the average wage in Korea is about 2-3000 Won an hour. English teachers make about 10 times that wage! Life should be good here it that's the case.

Well, I'm tired and half drunk so it's time to go home and get some sleep.

I was gonna wash more clothes but I don't think I have the patience.

No comments: