Thursday, September 07, 2006

Mmm... octopus stew...

Octopus was the main dish at school today. They had this at my orientation a few times but I avoided it like the plague. I gave in and tried it today. Not only was the texture like rubber, it also tasted like rubber.

My co-teachers said that it is usually more tender and it wasn't very good today. I don't know if I will ever find it appealing, although I will try it again next time it is served.

I took a few pictures at school today. Unfortunately I didn't get a picture of the Octostew.

Here I am with two of my co-teachers. Kim Hong-Mi is the lady to my left and Kim Dong-Sik is on my left. The desk I'm sitting at is my "office" and both of my co-teachers are also in the same room as me, along with three other teachers.

This is one third of my school. The building wraps around with three wings similar to what you see here. Usually the playground is jammed packed with students but I took this picture at the end of lunch break so some of the kids were already gone inside.

Here are some typical students with their unexhausted enthusiasm. Notice the jail-like bars in the background. They lock the place down at night.

My "office" is in this wing of the school.

Here is grade six classroom. All of the classrooms are typically like this with a big screen TV. Notice the kid in the striped shirt. I think he's Korea's Yao Ming.

This kid freaked out when he saw that I was taking pictures and nearly ran me over.

And finally, here's a picture of my supper this evening. It's called kimbab and it's a seaweed wrap with rice, cucumber, meat (it looked like ham and some kind of fish, but it's probably not)some yellow stuff and some green stuff. It tastes alright, it's cheap, and supposedly very healthy.

Tomorrow is a big day for me. I'm going out with the staff. They call the group the "young men's and women's club." It should be interesting when they all get drunk and start acting like regular people instead of teachers. I'm kinda frightened about what they have planned for me.

I hope it doesn't involve kicking my ass with Tae Kwon Do.

Hi-Ya!

No comments: